Thursday, March 4, 2010

Swap blocks

 I finally got a picture of my blocks for the swap.  Here they are:

I finally see that I put mine together wrong too, but I will just figure my pinwheels are spinning at different speeds and correct the error next time.  With so many of us positioning them the same way, it will add an extra dimension to the swap blocks!

Over the weekend I cut out two new quilts.  Monday I cleaned house a little.  Tuesday I cut up some more of the branches we trimmed from the trees lining our backyard.  That all wore me out!  Yesterday we took our Toyota in for the fixes and I worked on the blocks for my nephews wedding gift.  The pattern is called "Winter Cabins" and has nine blocks with pieced cabins and three blocks with appliqued trees.  It is really cute, in fact I want to make one for myself someday.  I had to stop by the fabric shop and get a little more fabric.  The pattern I'm following is in a magazine from 2004.  It has templates to cut the cabin roof sections for the blocks and they just would not go together right.  So I got more fabric and cut them a different way.  I used a 5 1/2" square of cream fabric (background) and a 4 1/2" square of brown (cabin roof), set the smaller square into the corner of the larger one and stitched diagonally across the smaller square.  Two of these sewn together make the pitched roof section just fine.  I do have to adjust the "snow" applique that sits on the roof just a bit to match the angle, but that will be easy.  The pattern has some other "errors" in it, too.  I'm glad I've had some experience quilting and have learned how to work with the patterns.  My way is a whole lot easier and way more accurate.  Their diagrams for putting stuff together is fine, their written instructions have some gaps in directions and a few mistakes labeling pieces. 

Well, off to add the applique to my blocks!

Marsha   

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful blocks! I'm so excited that some of them will be mine - never did I imagine when everyone started posting that some of these first beauties could be all mine! I look forward to seeing pictures of the two new quilts you've started.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! We must have posted our blocks about the same time. Your blocks are fine and you made a nice combination of darks and pastels. Sounds like you have had a busy week. And I completely understand about those instructions! Don't you sometimes wonder if they have anybody proofread? So were you lucky enough to find the same fabric? Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blocks look great. Love the colors.
    I can't wait to se the quilts you are working on now.
    Your busy week makes me think nap, you need to take a nap. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh great blocks!! You've been very productive!! I can't wait to see your other quilts :) Christine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, everybody is just whipping through these! Great blocks! :) Theri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed all the blocks shown have been super, including yours, Marsha. I'm looking forward to seeing how each of you put the blocks together! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marsha they are wonderful. As I said to everyone in the email recemtly, this pattern is so forgiving that no matter how you lay out your block the quilts are going to look fabulous! Your new projects sounds interesting. Looking forward to pictures. Cheers Ann :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the blocks;) I've been doing a bit of cleaning here myself this week....must be the weather;) Gorgeous few days we have had here recently;)
    Happy Quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your blocks. I'm partial to jewel tones in your two darker blocks, and those soft pastels are making me think Easter and spring. Our snow is actually melting, so I'll be seeing spring for real soon. Yay! -Joanne

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...