Friday, March 12, 2010

What I've been up to

What have I been doing?  It's been a little over a week since my last blog.  Well, I spent one weekend cutting out most of two quilts.  I finished up the piecing of the nine "flower" shapes for the red, cream and blue Patriot's Home quilt and I cut out the background pieces and the stripes for it.  I haven't cut into the other fabrics for it yet.  I want to get the "flower" shapes appliqued onto the background fabric for the nine blocks first.  I have to press the appliques and remove the paper before stitching them on. 

Before I start that though, I am working on the wedding gift for my nephew.  The wedding is in early June so I want to make sure it is done first.  I have all of the house and tree blocks completed, sewn together and the inner border on.  Next is a pieced checkerboard border, then it will be ready to start quilting.  I have the colored fabrics stitched to the cream fabrics and they are ready to strip cut into sections to stitch together to make the checkerboard.  I hope I can get them cut and start sewing them together tomorrow.  The houses and trees turned out really nice so I'm anxious to get the outer border on to see how it looks.  I'm always in a hurry to see how the next step changes and adds to the project. 

Yesterday I had the colonoscopy my doctor ordered when I had my physical a while ago.  It turned out OK, nothing there to worry about.  It was scheduled for nine am, I was home by 10:30, finished up a milkshake we picked up on the way home and I went to sleep.  It was 3:30 pm when I woke up.  I was afraid I might have trouble sleeping all night after the long nap during the day, but no problem.  It takes a while for the sedative to wear off. 

This morning was a beautiful sunny day so we cut up some more of the branches we had trimmed from our back hedge.  These branches are eight to ten foot sections cut from the tops of the hedge (which is still about tweleve to fourteen feet tall).  We cut the smallest stuff up into pieces that fit into our big garbage bin and put the bigger pieces aside to take to the dump once we have everything cut up.  I'm guessing we should be done with the brush pile in the back yard in three or four more weeks.  Our garbage is picked up once a week, then we fill it up again, leaving enough room for our other household garbage.   After we finished with that, we took a long drive (200 miles roundtrip) in the truck to get some more miles on it.  We went north up through the Jemez mountains (pronounced like Hey-mis), up over the top, by Los Alamos National Labs, over into Santa Fe with a stop to visit a friend who works at the Harley Davidson shop there, then home.  It was a long day.  Tomorrow I hope I can quilt! 

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've been busy as a bee, both with quilting and yard work! Glad your test went well, and the little ride too! Happy quilting Saturday! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad your test results were good. You have a lot of sewing ahead but it all sounds terrific. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures (as always). That was some trip - are the mountains dry and stony or covered with trees and snow-topped? Ann :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mountains are covered in mostly pine trees. The road was clear and dry but lots of snow in the trees. One area we passed through is the Valles Caldera. It is an enormous caldera left after a volcano erupted a million years ago. Here is a link to little info about it:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valle_Caldera

    The valley areas are covered with snow, too. In the summer we can see large elk herds down there, but we saw no wildlife this trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad your test results are good. I'm sure that's a relief. But it sounds like spring is keeping you from quilting! I have a few more weeks (at least) here before that starts, so I'm going to make the best of it. I look forward to seeing pictures of the quilts you've described.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad that the results gave you good news! You've been busy! Hopefully you'll have some more sewing time soon and I can't wait to see your pictures! :) Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad your test turn out good! It does sounds like you had been busy, Wish I could get all of this done in week.Hope you have a nice Saturday doing you sewing! HAPPY SEWING!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always good to get an "all clear" on tests like that;) My mom had two last year...they found little issues.
    Happy Quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And what else have you been up to? Sounds like the day off for mileage on the truck was probably a great idea. Thanks for the link! I gave it to my hubby as he is fascinated by earthquakes and volcanoes these days. If we were closer, I would lend you our "chipper". Finishes off all those smaller branches and makes mulch for the garden. So how does the gal from the midwest like the mountains?
    Mary

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...