I think I am all ready for Christmas. Decorations are up and gifts have been mailed. We are staying home this year, dog sitting for my son while he is on vacation. All of our other kids are far away, so it is just DH and me this year. I will try to get a picture of the puppies when they are here.
I've been working on a new project. Here is what I'm working with:
It has lots of HST's and flying geese. Since I took the picture I have done quite a bit of sewing and am now putting together the border. I love how it is looking and can't wait to have it done to show you!
Another project I worked on was for a small quilt swap. My swap partner and I have both received our quilts so now I can show them off. My partner lives in Wisconsin and enjoys spending time at her cabin. Here is what I made for her:
It is about 17" square, each of the leaves is a 3" block. Each of those little 1" blocks was fun and challenging to work with. The stems are embroidered in colors to match the leaves. It turned out so well I want to make one for myself. I love the fall colors in it. Best of all, she really likes it, too.
My swap partner made this quilt for me:
When we were discussing fabrics and colors we like, red white and blue was one of my choices. This quilt is about 20" square and made up of HST, rail fence and 9 patch blocks. All traditional blocks but when put together they form a New Mexico Star! I had never heard of this block pattern but it so pretty and fitting since I live in New Mexico. I love it, too. This is the first little quilt swap I have participated in and it was so much fun. If you are interested in more information about Small Quilt Talk, you can find it here. It is sponsored by Kathleen Tracy of A Sentimental Quilter . If you like doll quilts you might enjoy her blog.
I found another interesting little quilt blog, too. There is a new button on my side bar for Building Houses From Scraps. Jeanneke in The Netherlands made an adorable little house quilt and decided to share the pattern and set up the blog. Her goal now is to make a little house block each day throughout 2012 for a large quilt. I joined because I thought her doll quilt was so cute. I don't know if I will make all 366 house blocks but I do want to make some. She has over 800 people signed up to join her. It will be fun to see how the quilts turn out. Most of her blog posts are translated into English, so it is easy to read.
Last Sunday we got up real early and drove to the Bosque Del Apache . The sun had just come up when we got there so it was still cold. We drove around the refuge to see how many birds we could see.
There were lots of snow geese and sandhill cranes. These are some of the snow geese taking off and others still waiting on the water. They are so cool because they look mostly white on the ground but when they fly the tips of their wings are black. They take off in huge groups that are so fun to watch.
Sandhill cranes in the field.
Bald eagles in the tree. These are two mature birds.
Here are a couple of juveniles just landing in another tree. They don't have their white feathers on their heads yet. All total we saw 7 bald eagles. We were quite impressed, they are such regal birds.
Besides the roads where you can drive, there are some hiking trails thru the refuge but they are closed for the time being. Besides it being cold, there have been some mountain lions spotted in the area. I'd love to see one, but not up close and personal!
It was a great little trip and neat to see the thousands of birds that migrate through the area. We did see about 6 deer, too, but not close enough to get good pictures.
Hope you are all ready for Christmas and have wonderful times with your families!
Marsha
Both little quilts are great. Such a treasure, too! I can't wait to see what those HSTs turn into - endless possibilities... The cranes and eagles are beautiful. But mountain lions? Yikes!
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to see what you made with those HSTs and flying geese. They look so nice and crisp. The little quilts are lovely. I'm very impressed by those tiny leaf blocks. 1-inch HSTs are tricky little things! That's a very impressive numbers of birds - it sounds like a beautiful place to visit, but I'll pass on lion mountain encounters :)
ReplyDeleteThe little quilts are so sweet! I do read Kathleen Tracy's blog and have a couple of her books. I love little quilts - I keep making them as they get done faster. Your outing looks very interesting! Might want to go there someday when we are in NM next time.
ReplyDeleteThese are pretty half square triangles and will have to visit your blog to see your project come together. Hi there, I happened to read a comment you left on another quilter's blog that you also have a Laura Ashley 2000. I have received this machine for Christmas this year. I am curious as to which foot you like to use for piecing, and what settings for needle position, and needle size. Also, any tips for the quilting step whether with walking foot or fmq. I will check back here for any info you can share. Thanks, Mary
ReplyDeleteWhatever those red/white half-squares turn into, it's going to be very pretty! Hope we see it soon! The little houses are cute too, but I'm not sure I could do that! I know I could enjoy a Sunday drive like you had last week! Got another day trip planned for tomorrow? Wish I had one! ---"Love"
ReplyDeleteI've always wanted to visit Sandhill Crane territory. They have always fascinated me! Thanks for sharing the photos. One of these days I'm sure I will make it there myself, but until then I love seeing the photos and knowing they are still there.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to see what you do with the red and white fabric.
For Mary:
ReplyDeleteWhen I got my machine I took advantage of the free classes that came with it. I learned a lot there that the book didn't really cover in depth. If you have the chance, go to the class so you can use the machine with some supervision and training, it really helps.
I use my 1/4" foot with the guide most of the time for piecing. Keep in mind you have to practice a little to find where the "sweet spot" is for the scant 1/4" seam. If you cut three 1 1/2" strips and stitch them together they should measure 3 1/2". If not keep practicing until you find where to line up your fabric to get it exact. I haven't played with the one without the guide yet, I will have to play with it sometime. I use the N foot a lot, too.
I have my machine set up to start on the quilting setting and it comes up with Q1, the needle in the center position. I set the stitch length to 2.5 because it is a tight stitch but if I have to rip anything out I can still see it for that. Not that I want to do much ripping out, but it does happen sometimes!
I have used the walking foot on a couple of projects and I like it. This is the first time I have had a walking foot. My "old" machine is a Sears Kenmore that I bought back in 1969, it still works great but I like my new Brother for all the great features it has. I have played with some FMQ a bit but I need lots of practice. The machine is great, I just need to build skills and confidence before I try it on a quilt.
Types of needles was discussed a lot in my class. They recommended using Schmetz needles and changing to a new needle after each 8 hours of stitching time. For piecing I use a size 90/14 needle and for quilting I use the quilting needle 75/11. For heavier fabric I have some 10/16 needles and I have one denim needle from a class I took where we stitched on suede cloth.
I have used some of the decorative stitches on a couple of gifts. They were lots of fun. I am planning to make some fabric "sandwiches" and do a sample of each of the stitches to make a reference book for myself. That's the plan, so far I have been busy piecing quilts and haven't actually done anything with the idea.
Some of the things I like are the automatic lock stitch and automatic thread cutter for long seams. I don't use it piecing but putting together rows it is nice. I love the threading feature for threading the needle. My eyes aren't as good as they use to be, so this is great!
I do clean the bobbin area of the machine after almost every time I sew for any length of time. I does collect fuzz and it helps to keep it cleaned out. I learned about that in the class.
My best recommendation is to just take time to learn all about the machine by going through the book and practicing with it. Go to the class if it is available through your dealer. I've had my machine a year and still haven't tried everything. I need to take the time to learn more of the things it will do, too!
Enjoy!
I love the quilt you made for the swap and the one you got. Both very cute. I can't wait to see
ReplyDeletewhat your red hst and flying geese turn out to be.
Love the pictures. Looks like somewhere I would like to see.
Have a happy holiday!
hi Marsha..what a great post..I just found you...loved reading all about your trip..Happy New Year to you.
ReplyDelete