Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Cutting, cutting, cutting

I have spent the afternoon cutting fabric.  (Like I need another project to work on right now.)  I have some of the stars on my step daughter's quilt cut out.  Lots more to do though and I am still searching for the background fabric to use with the blue stars.  Then, I cut out 40  5" charm squares for a swap Tara Darr of Sew Unique Creations is doing.  Check out her blog here.  Her rules are simple and easy.  If you like Charm Squares, it might be fun to join in.  Tara is the designer for "Two Piece Puzzle", the red, cream and blue quilt I am working on.  It was in the April 2010 issue of APQ, page 88.
This one:



One of the things she requested in the swap is a cream colored square with the name and city, state of the individuals in the swap.  In return, she will send one with her name and info on it.  I'm planning to use it as part of the label for my quilt when I get it finished.  How cool to have an "autograph" from the pattern designer as part of the label!  I'm very excited about it.

This evening I watered my flowers and veggies that are really growing well.  After that I started trimming the elm hedge in the back yard.  In the spring we did a lot of pruning from the tops.  Now, it is growing like crazy, little branches are hanging out over the backyard.  So I go along, trim the bottoms up evenly and cut back everything hanging out too far.  Everything above my reach still hangs out, but it is above my head so doesn't interfere when I'm walking around the yard.  I'm only 5'2" so I can't reach too high.  My DH is helping, he is 6'3", so he can trim much higher than me. 

Well, time to relax a bit!

6 comments:

  1. Wow! What a surprise this was to read this morning! Yeah another swapper of charm squares! This is going to be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, that quilt looks like a LOT of pieces. And charm squares to boot? Wow! Sounds like you're keeping busy. Do you have plans for the charm squares you'll get from the swap? I have trouble figuring out what to do with them, but you know I'm not a scrap quilter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a beauty, Marsha! I'll have to pull out the April issue and have a closer look. I'm one of the strange ones who enjoys cutting. My hubby was explaining to his eighty-something uncle that I was quilting these days. He could hardly understand the theory of buying new fabric and cutting it into small pieces to put back together again. Looks like this one would be good for the square-in-a-square method.

    So glad that your gardening is working out well. Theri has a wonderful garden in Texas, but she sure has to use a lot of water to keep it that way! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are very busy. I like the quilt. I love charm squares. I can hardly control myself when I see them. OK.. I don't control myself. I am going to hop over and check out the swap. Thans for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness, that looks like a lot of work! But it certainly will be beautiful! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a fantastic quilt! Your charm swap sounds like a lot of fun. I like the new look for your blog too. Cheers, Ann :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...