Here's what I have to show off for National Quilting Day. This has been a busy week or so. First, one of my favorite quilt shops had a big sale and I found these:
They had fat quarters on sale for $2.00 each, so I stocked up on some new civil war reproductions. My favorites are the pinks and I think I can use the stripes as borders for a doll quilt or two. I have always wanted to make a pink and brown quilt, so I think some of these will find their way in there, also. No special projects in mind just yet, I have projects to finish before I start something new, but I will be ready when the time comes. Who can pass up such a good sale?
Next, since I got my new sewing machine three years ago I have been trying to find a good chair to use. The chair I have been using is a spare kitchen chair, but it just isn't high enough. I finally found a nice chair at a great price. I received a $25.00 coupon good on a purchase of $75.00 or more from Staples, so I started checking out their selection of chairs online. I found one for $99.00 that looked good, then when I clicked to purchase it, a 20% off offer appeared if I purchased it right then. So, what a deal, I got the 20% off plus got to use the $25.00 coupon and got the chair for almost half price. That is great for a penny-pincher like me. Here is my new chair:
I wanted a chair that had no arms, was on wheels, would rotate and adjust in height. It does it all and is comfortable with good back support, so I am very happy! Now I can comfortably look down onto the sewing surface and see what I am doing.
I have a couple little finishes to show off. I had saved the free BOM A Tisket A Tasket from Bunny Hill in 2009, I think, but I had never started it. I prepped the first two blocks to take to Florida with me, but I didn't have time to work on them there. When we got home I needed an evening hand stitching project, so here are the first two blocks:
Block 1
Block 2
With other projects to finish soon, I haven't started any of the other blocks yet, but I hope with having these two done I will eventually finish this BOM .
My big project with a deadline is the churn dash wedding quilt and I am making progress, here is a sneak peek:
I am hand quilting it with little flower shapes in the alternating squares, stitch in the ditch around the churn dash shapes and between the blocks. There are 120 5 inch churn dashes and 99 alternating blocks, then I have to decide what to stitch into the triangles along the edges since it is set on point. There will be no outside border, just the binding along the edges. I am really happy with it!
Hope you are enjoying some quilty time this weekend!




You are quite a bargain hunter. Good job! On the fabric and on the chair!! Love the fabrics you've picked. A brown and pink quilt is in my future project too.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing.
It is really good to have a chair that is comfy! I have about 7 of the basket blocks done from a few years ago and need to get the rest finished - one of these days. Your churn dash quilt looks wonderful! It will be a special gift for sure!
ReplyDeleteWow, you have made great progress. Love it! Quilting looks great.
ReplyDeleteNice new fabrics you got and such a great price.
The BOM blocks are so cute, mine is done and layered, now to get it quilted..
I'll bet 'it's all in the chair', isn't it? I use a fold up chair like those made for card tables. I would love to adjust up or down. Your BOMs are adorable and I love the churn dash quilt!
ReplyDeleteYour churn dash is looking lovely. I haven't had a hand quilting project to work on for a few months, but as soon as I get the back prepped I can baste my son's quilt and finally have a quiet evening stitching project again.
ReplyDeleteI love your little Bunny Hill basket blocks. One of these days you'll have a darling quilt from them.
Good deal on the chair! Happy comfortable sewing :)
The chair looks like a good one! I went through the same mess getting a new chair, so I'm glad your search ended so well. The churn dash quilt looks great and the basket blocks are so sweet.
ReplyDeleteLooks like you celebrated Quilting Day in fine fashion and some great finds! ---"Love"
ReplyDelete