Monday, June 6, 2011

Some pictures

Not of quilts, though.  There have been wildfires burning in southeastern Arizona for the last week or so and some in southwest New Mexico.  We are over 200 miles from the fires but with the strong southwest winds we have been getting smoke blowing into Albuquerque for the last several nights.  It clears out during the day and blows back in at night.  Here is a picture my husband took this evening about 6:30 pm Mountain time.

This is looking West at the sun through the trees in the back yard.  The wind was blowing pretty strong and all we could see was an orange ball.

Next, looking East:


This is the view above the roof of our neighbor's house across the street.  You can just barely make out the outline of the Sandia Mountains.  Usually we can see the tiny shapes of trees and rocks up there. 

And finally:



This is from the web cams looking over the city.  That haze is all smoke and ash floating in the air.  Outside it smells like a campfire, a big one!  We could use some good rain out here but that is not in the forecast.  We have not had any significant rain in the Metro area yet this year.  Everything in the state is so dry.  We are almost always under Fire Weather Watches and a lightning strike, a tossed cigarette or a hot exhaust pipe from a vehicle parking in the grass is enough to start a fire.  I wish we could transport the excess water in the areas that are experiencing floods out west.

We are doing fine as long as we stay inside and keep the windows closed.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Arizona fire crosses the New Mexico state line if the winds keep up tonight.  I feel so bad for all the people who have to evacuate their homes that are in the path of the fires.  My prayers go out for them.

On the quilty front, I need to take pictures of my first five Henrietta Whiskers blocks, the pattern for the sixth one just came out yesterday.  I finished up a small tumbler quilt that I need to show off, too.  Maybe tomorrow I can get some good pictures of those.  I have been hand quilting the Jan Patek Snowbound quilt, it is almost half way along.  I am loving it and am anxious to get it finished up. 

Have a relaxing evening!

6 comments:

  1. I do hope you can stay inside; all that smoke just cannot be good for you! I hope the fire is controlled before it spreads to your area! My AZ cousin lives about 40 miles NW of Greer. I hope the fire doesn't change directions and go back that way! Try to take advantage of the "inside" time, but keep a watch and know your escape plan should it come your way! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine living in an area prone to wildfires, but I can sympathize with the lack of rain. We had a rainy Spring but no more rain for almost two weeks now with temps in the high 80's and 90's. We are headed for our second heat wave this week! Here's hoping things improve for you.

    Liri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, hope you have an escape plan. All that smoke is definitely not good for you, although it makes for some haunting photos. I am looking forward to pictures of your new tumbler quilt!

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm right here with ya! This smoke is terrible. I am just thankful that we aren't on fire. I talk with my husband...if NM does go up in flames like that, I will have to leave until it's over. My allergies are bad enough when the stuff is in bloom....a fire would hospitalize me probably.
    Hope to see the quilts soon;)
    Happy Quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That smoke looks awful! I hope you continue to be safe. My parents are travelling and heading towards your area, so I hope they are safe too. And Love has the right idea - make good use of that forced indoor time with quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw the fires on the news and hoped you and Kathleen were ok. Hope those fires are under control soon. You stay safe.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...