How are you doing with your handmade gifts? Here are the ones I've been working on:
These are the table mats I made using the Farmer's Daughter block. They finished up at 14" square, perfect for an end table. I was struggling to come up with an idea for gifts for family this year when I found The Farmer's Dotter blog. She talked about the quilt block on one of her blogs and offered to email it to anyone who wanted a copy. I also did several internet searches and ended up using this pattern for my table mats. I decided since my father and my husband's father were farmers, these are quite appropriate, both to give and receive. The best part is, everything came from my scraps and stash. I really like the way they turned out, now I have to make some for myself!
I finally have the top all together for Two Piece Puzzle and I have the backing fabric and batting. Now I just have to get it basted! I have been working on it for about 8 months, wonder how long it will take me to hand quilt a queen size quilt! I'm planning to borrow a couple of long tables from my neighbor to do the basting. I'm hoping that works out. I don't have any bare floors to use. I usually do the basting on the island in my kitchen, but this may take a couple of days so I don't want to tie up the kitchen that long. Well, I guess we could eat out until I finish it but I don't think that will be a popular idea for long.
I was so excited to hear that Katie is getting the long arm machine she wanted and . . . drum roll, I have a new machine, too. It's not a long arm, I'm no where near ready to try that but it sure sounds like fun. My husband went on a motorcycle ride with the guys last weekend and left me home. I've been wanting a new machine for a couple of years, so I wandered over to the sewing store nearby. I had talked to them a couple of months ago about an embroidery machine but decided that really wasn't what I wanted. This time I checked out the sewing/quilting machines. It just so happened they were having a big sale and I found the one I wanted. It is a Brother that does lots of "stuff"! It will take me a while to learn all of the functions but the shop has classes for new machine owners, so that will help. I'm signed up to go to the first class the day after Thanksgiving. I've been reading the manual and trying some things out. It's fun, but so different than my old sewing machine. And when I say "old" I mean that. I bought my first sewing machine 41 years ago, I still have the sales receipt. My friends were dreaming of buying their first car, all I wanted was the sewing machine! This will count as my Christmas present for this year and that's OK because I love my new machine.
Right now I am working on the November Snowbound block, I think it will be finished tonight. Guess I should go have some fun sewing.
The table mats are great. I'm sure they'll be well loved! And congrats on your new machine! 41 years is a long time to wait, but it sounds like it was worth it to get a machine you really like.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your new machine! I'm sure it will be fun to learn all the new features. Your table mats are very pretty. I'm sure they will be appreciated.
ReplyDeleteVery pretty table mats! Congratulations on the new sewing machine! We will need to see a picture of it and what model it is. I would like to check it out and see what features it has.
ReplyDeleteLove that block you used for your tablemats. They looks so good. (You have great scraps).
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the new machine! Have fun getting to know your new brother.
Those table mats are very pretty -- my favourite is the light blue with red (in the middle). Congratulations on the new sewing machine. Good for you. I often think of getting a new machine, but mine is only 11 years old. Have a great time sewing.
ReplyDeleteSandy
Congrats on the new machine butI do hope you are not going to get rid of your old machine. Despite the fact that it is over 40 years old, I would bet it still runs like a top. Love the table mats!
ReplyDeleteLiri
Yay for the new machine;) Enjoy your quilting and sewing;)
ReplyDeleteHappy Quilting!!
Congratulations on your new machine! I've had a Brother I bought four yars ago which I love. Hope yours serves you as well as mine has. And I love the little table mats and the meaning behind them.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your sewing day! Congratulations on your new machine I know you will enjoy all the fun new features they have. Love the little table mats!
ReplyDeleteCarolyn
It's so much fun to have a new toy to play with! Your mats look delightful and how nice of Farmers Dotter to share her pattern. Ann :-)
ReplyDeleteAll the star mats are cute, but I really love the red/blue ones! No doubt you are sewing like crazy by now on that new machine! Enjoy! ---"Love"
ReplyDelete