Sunday, October 24, 2010

Sewing Sunday

It's been a busy week.  I have the center of Two Piece Puzzle all stitched up, now to add the narrow red border.  Next is the wide dark blue border, but I am still looking for the right fabric for it.  I ordered a nice wide quilt backing fabric on Ebay, it will be here by the end of the week.  I have never used the 108" backing before, I thought it was very expensive.  I found some for about $8.00 a yard from a vendor on Ebay.  I bought 3 yards and she only charged an additional $5.00 for shipping.  I thought that was pretty good.  Otherwise the pattern calls for 7 1/2 yards of regular fabric and that would have been pricey, too, so I did pretty good there.  I have the batting since I went to JoAnn's for their "buy one get one" sale.  I bought two queen size battings, two spools of thread, and everything I needed to make a new ironing board cover for about $40.00.  

I spent a couple of hours today on the ironing board cover.  Here is the before picture, this one isn't that old but it is worn through.


Sorry it's so blurry but you can see the tears in it.  And here is the new one:



Aren't those little owls cute!  The fabric is a heavier weight cotton so I'm hoping it will last a while.  I put the new cover over the top of the other one so it will have some padding.  Now it will be fun to iron!

I'm still quilting the Halloween wall hanging but I think it will be done this week, I hope.  I decided to do a cross hatch quilting in the outer border.  It is all done going one way, I am now working on the stitching tilting the opposite direction.  I think I will use solid black fabric for the binding once the quilting is done. 

The weather today was sunny but cool.  Tomorrow more bad weather is expected.  Some parts of the state are in for 30 to 50 mph sustained winds with gusts up to 70 mph predicted.  That means we won't put up our flag tomorrow, I spent a little time today mending some rips in it anyway.  We will see what happens.

Oh, I have one more "wildlife" pic. 



I was outside a few evenings ago and found this praying mantis chowing down on a black widow spider.  How cool is this?  I can't take credit for taking the picture, my DH is the photographer in the family.  I see praying mantis' in the flowers all summer long, usually when they are much smaller.  When I go out to water, they pop out to say hi and watch what I'm doing.  They are my little pets!

Hope everyone had a great weekend and lots of sewing was done.


  

8 comments:

  1. What a fun fabric for your ironong board cover. Mine could use that kind of makeover. Thanks for the idea. -Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. A couple of years ago we had an abundance of those marvelous praying manti' around our apartment. One set up shop on our ceiling for weeks!!! I saw a few around here just a few days ago...but none alive;( They really are fasinating creatures;)
    I love your ironing board cover!! I need to put some new padding under mine.
    And really, who brought in this weather this week???? It was cold!!!!!
    Can't wait to see a photo of the Halloween wallhanging;) I have my Halloween apron on right now making halloween sugar cookies;)
    Happy Quilting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your ironing board cover is just too cute. My covers always wear out in the same spot, where I like to press quilt blocks. (The rest of the cover looks new.) Looking forward to seeing your Hallowe'en wall hanging

    Your weather sounds nasty, although I bet you won't get any snow. We might get some overnight.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your new ironing board cover is so cute! Mine always gets worn where I press my blocks too. I might need a new board soon, the one I have is really old and I think it might be rusting from the steam.
    Look forward to seeing the Halloween wall hanging.
    Great shot of the praying mantis. Looks like something right out of a magazine. Don't think I want one for a pet though LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just know the Creator has a sense of humor! I can see it in that praying mantis, as well as other kinds of insects and wildlife!
    For some time, I've been pinning a double layer of a cup towel around my ironing board and cover, using wide elastic between the pins on the underside. The elastic holds it tight, and when it gets cruddy looking from the sizing/starch, I can unpin it and throw the cuptowels in the washer! Works well for me and I always have a clean ironing board! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute ironing board cover. Something I need to try. Love the Mantis picture 'cause I love the bugs! Bought some chinese mantis pods from Burpees about 20 years ago. Chinese mantis are huge, about 4 inches long and brown instead of green. I still run into one every now and then, LOL, literally. For those of you searching for a new ironing board, I just bought a new one from Walmart. It is 18 inches wide and a dream for pressing quilty stuff. Plenty of room for pressing and piling!

    Liri

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute choice of fabric for the ironing board cover, but I think I'd have a hard time using it, knowing eventually I'd ruin it! I suppose in the meantime you get to enjoy it, though... :) The praying mantis is great and even better that she's eating a nasty poisonous spider (nothing against spiders, but those that can kill me...well, they can be eaten without me shedding any tears)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your ironing board cover! Thanks for sharing!

    Also thanks for visiting and leaving your sweet comment on my blog. Always makes me smile :)

    Galena is a very exciting and fun place to visit!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...