Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and a great start to a Happy New Year! DH had hip replacement surgery the first week of December, so we had a very quiet holiday season. It's about five weeks post op for him and he is doing well. Still quite a bit of pain, but he is down to taking Tylenol most of the time for pain management. His physical therapy has him walking with a cane now, he graduated from a walker. He can even walk without the cane if he is close to countertops or tables to steady himself if needed. Those first two weeks were really hard on both of us but things are great now. I still have to do the driving and he can't bend over to pick things up or even put socks on. I help getting him dressed and pick up things he drops, but he is much better.
I have three projects I am working on. First is a wall hanging that I hoped to finish for Christmas, but it will be for next year!
It is called "Santa's Christmas Card" designed by Sandy Gervais of Pieces From My Heart. The applique is all finished in the photo. I have since added two borders and have all but the outside border quilted. My dilemma now is how to do the eyes. The pattern calls for painting the eyes and noses on but I'd rather do something different. I could cut out tiny white wool circles and use French knots, maybe, don't know. I do have some tiny googly eyes I could glue on. I just have to be careful with the glue so I don't make a mess. I think I also have some small pom poms that could be the noses. The pattern calls for red noses on all the reindeer but only Rudolph had a red nose, so maybe brown. I have to give it more thought. Any suggestions?
Next is a baby quilt for grandchild number fifteen. A little girl is due in May. Of course it is a great reason to make another Sunbonnet Sue quilt for her. Here are the first two blocks I made.
I love Sunbonnet Sue, these blocks are so much fun to make. I have been working on the blocks while I wait at all of DH PT sessions so they are all made and I just stitched the sashing and cornerstones on today. I still have a couple borders to add before I can start quilting. It is going to be very cute.
My third project is one of Jan Patek's tabletop quilts. During the summer I was fortunate to win a copy of her new book "Tabletop Turnabouts". It is a series of quilts that fold over on a small quilt frame so both sides show. I will take pictures when I get it finished. DH got me the table top quilt frame for Christmas, so I am anxious to get a quilt made for it.
That is what is pretty much keeping me busy these days. I have been reading all the blog posts you all have been making. Most of the time I have been so tired I didn't have the energy to reply to your posts, I apologize for that. I have enjoyed seeing what you are making. I am finally starting to have a little more energy since DH is sleeping better (so, so am I) and he can take care of himself pretty well now. I will try to keep up with commenting on your blogs again!
Happy Stitching!
I'm glad to hear the hip replacement went well and your hubby is healing. I hope soon he will be pain free and able to wall free of the cane (though a very petite quilting friend of mine always comes to mind when she reported her doctor told her to carry a cane, even if she didn't need it, to whack people with if they got too feisty...little did he know, she probably didn't need the cane for that - her wits could stop anyone in their tracks with her tongue lashing when she chose!). The Sunbonnet Sues are adorable and I love the basket weave prints you've chosen for their accessories. I hope you find more time to blog and share your projects, but even more so that you get the rest you need to feel your best!
ReplyDeleteLove the reindeer piece!! Well wishes for DH continued recovery!
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year Marsha! Oh Blogger, why aren't you emailing comments to me anymore. Wordpress is looking attractive. Love Santa's Christmas Card - way too cute. G/child number 15 - that's fantastic news and Sunbonnet Sue is such a sweet pattern. Nice work indeed. Glad to hear DH is on the mend.
ReplyDelete